Monday, February 8, 2010

My experience in cameraless filmmaking has been quite a bizarre one thus far. I don't mean bizarre in a negative sense, but as the best word to capture the feeling of creating a film with the only lens being our own eyes. Some people are a theory based, while others are more hands on. I am definitely a hands on type of guy, so in truth, I am actually sort of digging this approach to filmmaking. The idea of experimentation, as in creating something through the process of trial and error (what works, what doesn't) is an aspect of the process that I wish to adapt in narrative filmmaking, especially when it comes to working with actors. there is no wrong idea, but a collaborative effort between the actor and director to make sure the performance serves the story the best way possible. To bring it back to cameraless filmmaking, I think that what I am also interested in is how it feels like projecting emotions. To me, there is no sense of logic in the process-- no right way of doing something, moreso than narrative filmmaking it almost feels like we are bringing film to a level of pure art, away from the commercially viable and more towards artistic expression. I have no idea what I am doing, and I definitely have no idea where I am going. however, here's the thing-- I actually like that feeling. The unknown is not something to be feared but to be embraced. the fearlessness needed to make cameraless filmmaking should be applied to narrative filmmaking, so that new ground will be broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment