Monday, April 26, 2010

Mystery Workshop

I must say that Star Wars is one of the defining films of my childhood. Since nostalgia is what defines us as people as well as a civilization (culture), I would say that the film is one of the reasons why I want to be a filmmaker. Some people don’t understand why the films are such a cultural phenomenon, and I believe that is because they did I grow up with it. However, that being said, I can understand why they are befuddled by it, considering how ridiculous the films actually are. Fortunately, both dynamics make it extremely fun to parody, which we did during the mystery workshop. The scene our group filmed was a recreation of the bit where the heroes discover the remnants of the planet Alderaan. It an absolute blast recreating the cockpit of the Millinium Falcon using phone parts and Christmas lights. Also, simply saying the (albeit corny) dialogue gave me flashes of childhood nostalgia. Basically, this workshop reconfirmed my love for a film that has been a part of me my whole life. Awesome idea for a workshop I must say.

No comments:

Post a Comment